In Bahrain Specialist Hospital, the Neuro and Spine Surgery Department is offering innovative surgical procedures, state-of-the-art technology, and high-quality patient care. The department’s neuro and spine surgeons refine surgical procedures to provide leading-edge, compassionate care to patients who require neurosurgical services in a wide range of specialties. The Neuro and Spine Surgery division deals with different aspects of surgery on the Central and Peripheral Nervous System and the spine with spinal stenosis, minimally invasive spine surgery. A variety of surgical procedures have been provided to patients with neurological disorders and to new born children who also have neurological disorders like hydrocephalus, spinal cord aspiration and other congenital malformations of the central nervous system. In addition, brachial plexus peripheral neuropathies such as tumors and injuries in the event of accidents and post-accidents and it’s consequence to head injuries, spinal injuries and peripheral nerve injuries in some areas. Spine tumors, spinal degenerative diseases, disc surgery, brain and spinal abnormalities and many disorders that need further treatment could be completed by the specialists in the department. Patients with epilepsy sometimes need surgical intervention evaluation including other cases that also require an expert intervention.
Our expert subspecialty care is aided by the latest medical technology, from life-saving intervention for acute brain trauma to skillful management of chronic illnesses.
Major neurological procedures include:
- Head injuries, trauma to the nervous system
- Brain tumors (glioma, metastasis, skull base tumor, acoustic neuromas, etc)
- Neurovascular disorders (aneurysms, AVMs, carotid endartectomy, and cavernous angiomas)
- Pediatric neuro and spine surgery (congenital malformations, Chiari malformation, cranial-facial anomalies, spina bifida, hydrocephalus, spasticity and epilepsy, tumors of the brain and spine)
- Spine surgery
- Degenerative spine disease (herniated disc, stenosis)
- Spinal injury
o Spine and spinal cord tumor
o Syrinx and tethered cord
- Peripheral neurosurgery: obstruction, tumor, trauma, and brachial plexus surgery
- Spinal deformity, hemorrhage and cupping
- Pituitary surgery: tumors
- Laparoscopic brain surgery and laparoscopic surgery.
Diagnosis of brain imaging (stroke, vasculitis, intracranial hemorrhage) and extending of intracranial blood vessels and use of the stent assisted by the technique of coiling to extend complex blood vessels. An Embolism associated with venous or ducal arterial anomalies, hemorrhoids, AV particles, the chip, adhesive and trunk pre-embolization of vascular brain tumors. For molecular embolism in cases of hemorrhage and balloon catheterization with spasticity, sampling of clusters in the sinuses (evaluation of endocrine glands in Cushing’s ring) and intra-arterial clots using clotting factors and balloon
Stent inside the brain for patients with Atherosclerosis contains the following diseases:
- Tumors in the brain and spine (glomerular and pulmonary tumors).
- Lower back pain, lower leg pain, lower disc down leg, and lower disc neck.
- Hydrocephalus (head water in adults and children).
- Children and adults with spina bifida and deformities associated with spina bifida.
- Neck and arm pain (accidents, disc disease).
- Brain and spinal infection.
- Facial pain.
Other conditions treated in the Department of Neurosurgery:
- The cervical spine and lumbar spine.
- Head trauma (brain hemorrhage, skull fractures, etc.).
- Traumatic spinal cord trauma.
- Peripheral nerve injury.
- Spinal and spinal cord tumors and peripheral nerves.
- Internal cerebral hemorrhage such as intracranial hemorrhage and intracellular bleeding control.
- Some forms of drug-resistant epilepsy
Technology and equipment:
- EEG and EMG
- The Unit of Electrical Surgeries for Neurosurgery “
- Surgical microscope. List of procedures followed in the section:
- Dural Artery
- Evacuation of frequent bleeding under the dura
- Fix the spine fractures
- Endoscopic third venticulostomy
- Disc resection
Speak with our Contact Center for assistance